I’ve now been back in northern Thailand for a week in Chiang Mai. With the internet lacking in Myanmar I had so much catching up to do on my blog, I’m sure you’ve all noticed my overload this last week. I have read the internet in Laos is also pretty lacking so I might be quickly back logged again. For now, I’m all caught up and so I started researching Laos. I leave tomorrow for a 3 day trip from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang. One day is spent traveling by bus and then two days on a slow boat down the Mekong Delta. I have compiled a list of things I’m guessing you didn’t know about Laos, because I sure didn’t.
- Laos has been named the most bombed country. It is said that nearly 2 billion tons of bombs were dropped on Laos by the USA during the Vietnam War.
- Most all meals are based around sticky rice. It’s a prominent crop for this country
- Coffee is one of the leading crops in Laos and it is said they have the best coffee in SE Asia. I’ll be the judge of that.
- Beer Laos is their main international export, is super cheap and can be found everywhere (YESSSSS!!!)
- Laotians are said to be the most laid back people around.
- A human fossil was found in Laos that is said to be 46,000 years old, making it the oldest modern fossil in the world.
- Laos has 900 species of orchids. I can’t wait to see this.
- I couldn’t find a total number, but there are TONS of waterfalls, one of which is the 3rd largest in the world.
- Loas is one of the 5 remaining communist countries.
- Laos has a country wide midnight curfew. Don’t worry I rarely make it past ten so this shouldn’t affect me.
- The population is 6.5 million
- The climate is tropical and known for monsoons. Most importantly I will be there during their rainiest season. We’ll see how that goes.
- The highest point in Laos is called Phou Bia and is not open to tourists because it is filled with in unexploded ammunition. Ummm No Thank You!
- Most places will except US Dollars, Thai Baht or Lao KIp. Sweet, I can use up my left over Thai money and not pay to exchange it!
- Laos official name is Lao People’s Democratic Republic. But that’s just too wordy, so Laos we will call it.
- The king cobra, one of the worlds most dangerous snakes, lives in Laos. Thank god I have my snake bite kit (Thanks Jerry)
So there we have it, a nice list of things you and I did not know about Laos. Can’t wait to be able to share this next adventure with you’ll!!
Subscribe To Join My Tribe
Join my tribe to receive info about my movements and updates when I post new content.